Still getting into the swing of college life? Getting more involved on campus helps!

WLU Media Relations

The SPICES International Club Officers. From left to right are shown pre-pandemic, Umesh Nepali (vice president), Adwit Lamichhane (president), Alexis Watkins (events) and Serena Smith (marketing).

Is college all about work and no fun? Should students beat that boredom with being active on campus? I asked three students and an alum on their take on why they should be active on campus.

Haley Blakemore is currently a junior at West Liberty University (WLU) explains it would be a good idea for underclassmen to join. “Clubs provide new experiences and new friends,” said Blakemore. She then brings up that attendance through these clubs and organizations is optional so that they can fit your daily schedule. Blakemore works for The Trumpet along with her studies. In her freshman year, she was involved in creative writing. To anyone nervous about joining a club or organization she says to “join with a friend” and to remind everyone that “clubs are not a commitment you have to keep.” Blakemore also reminds students that if they have stress over leaving a club that “boundaries are important” and students should choose what they want to do.

Kailey Pettit is currently a senior at WLU. She explains that the upside of being active on campus is that it keeps you busy and you get to have fun with people you might not have met otherwise. Pettit is currently involved with the women’s golf team and the human performance club on campus. She explains that she would encourage people to be active on campus despite the COVID-19 risk; “it’s worth the risk to me, you’ll make friends that’ll last long after college is over”. Pettit suggests that anyone who is struggling to join a club or organization should just try it because “you’ll never know what you’re missing”.

Katie Zackery is a transfer student at WLU. Zackery explains that people should be active on campus to “broaden their horizons”. She explains that she wishes she could be active on campus, however, her schedule conflicted with that. Being that this was her first year at a different school she also wanted to take it easy so she can learn in a different environment. Zackery said, “If a person feels uneasy about Covid, just wait until things start to look better, but if people want to and are taking the right precautions then go to your thing.” She also suggests that if you are apprehensive about joining a club or organization to just do it and if you don’t like it, you can always leave.

Ellie Howell is an alum of WLU. She explains how making connections on campus will help you meet new people. She was a part of the Campus Ministry and a few clubs in her first year of schooling, however, she wished she had done more. Howell encourages people to be social, but at a safe distance. For anyone who is apprehensive about joining a club or organization, she suggests them “to reach out”. Howell suggests not to over-exert yourself and to “take one step at a time” with things. She regrets not being involved enough on campus. She wished she would have opened herself a little more to people with the same interests as her.

I think all these answers perfectly describe why you should be active on campus. Somebody told me that college isn’t about work. It’s about having experiences, whether it’s making friends or joining a club or organization you are still experiencing something new. Those experiences will stick with you not only from college but through your whole life too. So as many others say, take the risk and try something new because it’s going to be worth your while.