Student Activities hosts mini golf

Blatnik Gymnasium during Mini Golf event

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021, West Liberty University Student Activities hosted glow in the dark mini golf in Blatnik Hall’s gymnasium from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. A total of nine rounds were placed around the room with enough space between for social distancing. Students donned glowstick necklaces and bracelets and attempted to beat each other during the night.

Along with the glowsticks, the gymnasium also contained blacklights (ultraviolet lights) that furthered the glowing effect of clothes, glow-sticks, and other objects. According to HowStuffWorks, blacklights work by activating phosphors, substances that emit light when radiation is applied, and this causes the “glowing” sensation. Bright, neon colors such as fluorescent green, pink, orange, and yellow glow the most. This is because they have more phosphors than other colors, so they glow brighter. As for glow-sticks, a chemical reaction occurs when it is “broken.” Inside the stick, there are two containers which hold different liquids. The glass between them is broken when it is activated, causing the liquids to mix. The liquids are usually hydrogen peroxide and tert butyl alcohol that have fluorescent dye added.

Students seemed to enjoy the event greatly. Sophomore Jaya Betts commented that the night was “…very trippy and very fun!” Another student, Kaitlyn Bailey, said, “It was very well run, and I felt very safe health wise because of all the COVID precautions taken.” This event is one of the first that campus has hosted since the restrictions have lessened. Students were required to wear their masks and remain six feet apart from each other. There was also a limit on how many students were permitted inside the gymnasium at one time.

Student Activities plans to have more events like this in the future as long as the current COVID-19 guidelines remain the same or lessen. This possibility has given students, like Alexia Schmader, hope for the future. Schmader comments, “I love that activities are starting on campus again! It feels so great to see people outside and having fun like the good old days. It makes me hopeful that the end of the virus, as we know it, is near!” Freshman like Schmader have not had the opportunity to experience on-campus events due to starting at West Liberty University in the midst of the pandemic. Campus remains hopeful that events such as TopperFest can resume in the Fall, even with some restrictions.