College of Education and Human Performance will add two new master degrees in fall 2022

New Exercise Physiology program being offered in fall of 2022

The College of Education and Human Performance will be adding two new master’s degrees in Athletic Training (MSAT) and Exercise Physiology (MSEP) beginning in the fall semester of 2022. According to the education newsletter, “Both programs will offer a 3 + 2 format (WLU undergraduate AT or EP Bachelor’s degree + Master’s degree AT or EP in 5 years) or 2-year master’s degree only for those already with a bachelor’s degree that meet all pre-requisite requirements.” Although the programs will not officially start until the fall of 2022, WLU’s Director of Media Relations, Maureen Zambito said notes regarding its approval can be found in the board minutes from the June 30, 2020 Board of Governors meeting.

The MSAT education program curriculum is designed for students interested in athletic training careers or related fields, according to the MSAT website. In addition, students will have working knowledge and the skills needed as set by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education and be prepared for the National Board of Certification Exam.

Requirements for the program per the website state official transcript of any bachelor’s degree from a “regionally accredited college or university” with a minimum 3.0 GPA, at least 50 observations hours from two different athletic training settings, essay detailing why applicant chose athletic training as a profession and have all prerequisite coursework requirements completed. Details on program hours or time span of completion is not listed on the website, please contact MSAT Program Director, Dr. David Hanna at [email protected] for further questions.

MSAT contains four outcome program goals:
· Outcome 1: Students will have the ability to demonstrate and provide quality healthcare to diverse patient populations in several healthcare settings.
· Outcome 2: Students will have the knowledge to understand athletic training roles and responsibilities in many different health care settings.
· Outcome 3: Students will develop knowledge and skill sets needed to explain recent evidence-based research; in addition, apply research to clinical practice.
· Outcome 4: Students will be able to communicate in an effective way to various people and health care professionals.
*Note: List derived from MSAT website.

Those interested in applying can visit the MSAT website and scroll until “Apply Now” is seen.

The MSEP education program curriculum is designed for students interested in career paths corresponding with exercise physiology or related fields. According to the MSEP website, the program is a 38-hour program that will take a little over two years to complete. “Upon graduating, students will gain the knowledge, skills, and abilities based on the competencies set forth by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) to serve as an allied healthcare provider to various patient populations and settings,” according to MSEP website.

Requirements for the program can be found, again, on their website and are as follow: an official transcript of any bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum of a 2.75 GPA and all prerequisite coursework requirements must be complete. Applications for this program open on June 1 for Fall 2022. Individuals interested in applying for MSEP should visit the website and scroll until “Applications Open June 1 for Fall 2022” is seen. Please contact MSEP Program Director, Ryan Koeing at [email protected] for further questions.