Hilltoppers prepare for Homecoming 2021

West Liberty’s Student Government (SGA) and Alumni Association have plans in place to host this year’s homecoming events.

SGA President, Mackenzi Jones, believes that hosting homecoming festivities is important for student life after a year of canceled events due to COVID-19. “It’s hard to get back to living normally if you don’t do anything, but it is important to stay safe,” said Jones.

Homecoming week will start on Monday, Oct. 11 and end on Saturday, Oct. 16. As of now, the date for the dance has been set for Saturday, Oct. 16 in the ASRC building adjacent from the West Family Stadium. This year’s homecoming dance is fairytale themed and will begin at 10:30 p.m until 2 a.m.

SGA plans to optimize campus protocols to make this environment safe for all students attending. Some of the rules they plan to implement include a mask requirement and social distancing. Members of SGA explained that the ASRC building is spacious and will allow for safe distancing between students.

The dance is not the only thing scheduled for homecoming week. “We have so many plans,” said Jones.

There will be socially distanced, outdoor activities leading up to the event. On Monday, Oct. 11 there will be serenades held by the sororities and fraternities at 9 p.m. Serenades are a common tradition where Greek life competes for the student body by singing and dancing to popular songs that fall under a category. This year’s category is “Not so happily ever after” which includes popular break-up songs.

On Tuesday, Oct. 12, the cafeteria is having “Celebrity Servers”, an event where the homecoming court candidates serve food in the cafeteria from 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Tent day will be on Wednesday, Oct. 13 where homecoming court candidates will congregate with live music to promote votes. On Friday, Oct. 16, the homecoming court and their fellow Greek organizations will get together for a Town Cleanup.

SGA is also running a dress drive in the SGA office on Tuesday, Oct. 12. Anyone can donate a dress and drop them off on Tuesday, and those needing a dress can pick one up on Thursday, Oct. 14.

“I want to thank Dr. Evans and (his) staff and faculty for allowing us to have the dance since it has been so long, and so many people haven’t been able to experience it. I think it is definitely an important part of the college experience at West Liberty. I also want to thank my executive board for all of their help,” said Jones.

For more information regarding homecoming and the plans in place, please email West Liberty’s Student Government Association at [email protected].