The Hilltop welcomes Philip Stahl to the communications program this fall

Philip Stahl is a part-time professor at West Liberty University (WLU) and teaches a public relations course once a week on campus. Stahl is also the Wheeling Public Information Officer and offers real-life experience for his students.

Stahl grew up in Wheeling, W.Va. and graduated from WLU in 2010 with a bachelor’s degree in communications, then got his master’s degree in education leadership in 2015. During his time at WLU, he took various communications and TV production courses. By taking these classes, he obtained an internship and a job right out of college with WTOV-TV. Stahl says, “WLU TV helped set the groundwork for television production and how it works behind the scenes.” Stahl was also the first student to create a television show on the WLU campus.

Stahl says, “My internship at WTOV helped me gain perspective and later employment at the station.” He adds, “Without that course, I am not sure I would have met professionals in the television world.” He accepted a position at Wheeling University that centered around marketing and worked there for a little over two years. Stahl was then promoted to the Wheeling Public Information Officer in 2016. Some of his responsibilities include writing press releases—which he teaches students how to do in his class—and working closely with the police and fire department when cases open that affect the community.

Stahl says his job is “one of a kind.” He explains, “Not a single person around has the same gig—In fact, you have to go 60 miles northeast to Pittsburgh to find the next PI Officer for a police/fire department.” He says his job holds a lot of singular responsibility, but it has its rewards. He says, “I have been able to create the job and mold it to benefit both departments in the best way possible.” He continues, “This job can get crazy during a public matter…at the end of the day, you can sit down and feel good to know you’ve helped your hometown.”

For more information about this article, contact the writer at [email protected], or follow the Wheeling Police and Fire Department on Twitter or Facebook for updates.