West Liberty holds Drag Bingo featuring Pittsburgh queens Leia Way LeStat and Dixie Surewood

Pride club members with Leia Way LeStat and Dixie Surewood.

On Oct. 20, 2021, drag culture came to West Liberty University (WLU) in full force. The WLU Pride Club, Kate Billings and The Diversity Committee joined together to host a bingo event in the Student Union featuring Pittsburgh drag queens, Leia Way LeStat and Dixie Surewood, as special guests. Way LeStat and Surewood created an open and friendly atmosphere for the amassed 150 enthusiastic guests, including both students and faculty.

Tickets were free to all WLU students, faculty and staff, while non-campus guest tickets were $5.00. Prizes included a Nintendo Switch Lite, Pride flags, an Amazon Fire Stick and more.

The history of drag bingo is as unique as the queens themselves, originating from Seattle in the 1990s for fundraising. Judy Werle, the then Director of Development of the Chicken Soup Brigade, which was a support organization for people with AIDS, was searching for places where people gathered and spent money when she realized bingo halls were the perfect place. Soon, Boston, Chicago, Denver, San Francisco and, eventually, all around the world had discovered and implemented drag bingo.

WLU Pride Club President Emma Beatty said, “one of the biggest pros is the exposure people will have to drag culture and the LGBT community.” Likewise, ally Chase Durbin, said the following for why the event was good for campus, “it’s important for newer generations to become accustomed to drag culture. Getting them exposed to the idea makes them more open-minded.”

Way LeStat and Surewood fashioned a costume change before performing lip syncs to individual songs, shortly joining together for the iconic pride anthem “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga. Student, Andrew Thomas Dillie, said the highlight of the night was when the queens did a split synchronously during their act. Dillie followed up with, “When I heard about Drag Bingo taking place on West Liberty’s campus, I was afraid that the queens would be treated poorly; but it was exactly the opposite. All of the other students played into the fun atmosphere the queens set up and allowed themselves to experience, and enjoy, something that usually wouldn’t gauge their interest.”

Pride events bring people together, both allies and LGBTQ members, and create a safe place for expression, equality and love. Having events on campus can also help bring recognition, acceptance and visibility. With a lot of students in a new environment at college, this can help them feel more connected and comfortable on the Hilltop.
For more information, contact Michael Antley at [email protected].