SPICES celebrates International Education Month with fun activities for students

November is International Education Month and West Liberty University has multiple events planned for this month. Some of these events include celebrating international holidays, listening to guest speakers, having discussions, eating international food, learning new songs and dances and playing games that are popular around the world.

SPICES, WLU’s International Club, will be hosting many events this month including a global fair and international games. According to WLU’s website, “The WLU International Club was established to form a multicultural international organization that supports the welfare of international students and facilitates interaction between American students and international students at West Liberty.” The club’s slogan is “Diversity is the Spice of Life.”

Ryan Glanville, coordinator of international programs and recruiting encourages students to learn more about other cultures by participating in the activities on campus. Glanville believes that learning about other cultures helps people become more understanding and accepting of people who are different from them.

On Nov. 9, students can also learn about studying abroad and get introduced to the culture of the country they wish to study in. This event takes place at 12:30 p.m. in the Alumni Room of the Student Union where Dr. Brian Fitzpatrick and Dr. Rohit Pradhan will discuss basic information about the study abroad program.

On Monday, Nov. 15, students can participate in a panel discussion about cultural stereotypes. The event takes place from 2:00-3:30 p.m. in the Alumni Room.

On Tuesday, Nov. 16, there will be two international events on campus. At 2:30 p.m., students will have the opportunity to make a Brazilian dessert in the Chapel Social Room. At 5:00 p.m., students can play a Philippine Game in the Alumni Room.

On Nov. 17 at 3:00 p.m., students will have the chance to play Squid Game, a Korean game, in the Alumni Room. The game will resemble similar aspects to what is played on the new Netflix show, Squid Game. Professor Moonjung Kang will be in charge of this event. Students will be rewarded with candy that is popular in Korea.

On Nov. 18, from 9:30-10:45 a.m. two guest speakers will discuss how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected teaching English and global education. This event will take place in the Chapel Social Room. At 2:00 on the same day, Dr. Shannon Halicki, associate professor of foreign languages, will lead a discussion about the effectiveness of language apps in the Alumni Room.

The final event of International Education Month is International Transgender Day of Remembrance. This event takes place on Nov. 20 on the Quad. The time for this event is to be announced.

To see the full schedule of events check Hilltopper Headlines or check your email for updates on student activities. For more information about International Education Month, email Ryan Glanville at [email protected] or email [email protected]. You can also visit SPICE’s Facebook page to see information about both previous and upcoming events or email [email protected].