WLU makes medical unit available to students

(Provided by: Christy Bennington

Christy Bennington is the Director of Student Health Services.

West Liberty University (WLU) has partnered with Cornerstone Care Community Health Centers to provide a mobile medical unit on campus. The health services provided by the unit are confidential and at low to no cost to students, faculty and staff. The next unit will be available on campus on Nov. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Student Health Center.

According to a flyer provided to students, medical services provided include on site birth control options (oral contraceptives, depo shot, IUD, implant, and condoms), STI and HIV testing, pregnancy testing, breast and cervical cancer screening (including Pap tests), breast exams, Gardasil vaccine, basic infertility services and preconception health care. Appointments can be made for the Nov. 29 visit, or those interested can stop by the unit because walk-ins are welcomed.

Partnerships with the mobile medical units are completed through Adaigo Health WV. Adaigo health aims to provide federally funded family planning and reproductive services to women and men within the following West Virginia counties: Brooke, Hancock, Marshall, Monongalia, Ohio, Preston and Wetzel. There is no in-state requirement in order to use the medical unit — anyone can use the units’ services regardless of where they live. Partnerships are generally conducted with venues and schools with no cost to the community.

Christy Bennington, director of student health services at WLU, provided the information listed above regarding the specifics of the partnership the University has with the medical unit. “Individuals will have convenient access to birth control, STD testing and reproductive health exams without having to leave campus,” said Bennington when asked about the benefits for the campus.

Brenna Orr, with Adaigo Health, said: “If a student has health insurance and the mobile unit accepts this insurance, and the student is not seeking confidential services (If they are we never bill insurances to secure confidentiality) then yes it does accept it, for students who may be insured but the unit does not take that insurance, they can receive services still no matter the ability of coverage. Of course, the unit also serves those who are not insured or underinsured additionally.”

Orr also shared specific STI testing and treatment that is provided on site explaining, “The mobile medical unit provides full – service STI testing and treatment on site (medications dispensed at time of visit or delivered to patient upon results). These tests include Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Herpes I and II, Trichomonas, HPV, Syphilis and HIV. In addition, the unit provides other basic lab testing for other reproductive health needs.”

According to both Bennington and Orr, the university plans to have the unit on campus at least once a month if not more in the spring semester. Students seeking care from the unit, such as birth control, will still be able to get their medication even if the unit is on campus. Orr explained, “Students who are seeking any type of care including birth control always have the option for a TeleHealth visit on days the unit is not on campus and the mobile unit staff will get them their medications or birth control by mail or hand delivery.” Orr also explained the mobile units’ services and staff are available through the summer months throughout Ohio and Brooke counties at its other locations. Individuals are also able to “schedule a tele-health visit to receive care or a refill or contact Cornerstone Care to come to the nearest medical office to the student [or individual]. Each of their offices provide the same programming that the mobile unit can offer,” said Orr.

For more information regarding the Community Mobile Medical Unit on campus, please contact Christy Bennington at [email protected] or by phone by calling (304) 336-8049.