West Liberty University Regional Science Fair returns

The West Liberty University Regional Science and Engineering Fair (RSEF) took place Saturday, Feb. 12, 2022 after years of absence due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The event was located at the WLU Highlands Event Center. This is the 63rd year WLU has hosted the RSEF. The fair was funded by the West Virginia Department of Education, the Community Foundation of the Ohio Valley and the NASA Space Consortium, according to Director of Media Relations, Maureen Zambito.

Assistant Professor of Biology and coordinator of the fair, Dr. Holly Racine said, “Everyone is very thankful that WLU is able to host the Regional Science and Engineering Fair again this year.”

Racine added, “We welcomed 3rd grade through 12th grade to compete in the elementary, junior and senior divisions. We will be able to send qualifying students that are awarded first place from each category, and in each division, to the State Science and Engineering fair in Charleston, W.Va.”

WLU student volunteers in Biology Club, Chemistry Club, STEAM Club, the crayfish lab and the Zoo Science program arrived at the fair with planned activities for the students to do and helped monitor the rooms during the judging period.

Kirsten Bogunovich, a junior biology pre-medicine major at WLU said, “This was my first time volunteering for the fair. Dr. Racine introduced me to the opportunity. I helped direct the participants to their tables, checked them in and completed any other tasks necessary to keep the event organized and running smoothly.”

According to Zambito, “The fair started at 8:30 a.m. with check-in for the elementary School Student Division and was followed by exhibit set-up and judging. The junior and senior Student Division checked in from 12-12:30 p.m. and was followed by exhibit set-up and judging. The award ceremony concluded the day and was in-person and virtual through Topper Station.”

Bogunovich said the fair was excellently done. “It was so much fun helping out and watching the event come together. The projects were incredible and it was very exciting to see so many young people interested in science. I definitely hope to volunteer at the fair next year!”

Racine noted, “The event was a success. The students had a great time and the competition was tough! They all did a great job.”

The mission of the RSEF is “to encourage young people to become interested in science and to promote the growth of applied scientific investigation.” Students who qualified for first place in each category and division will go to the West Virginia Science and Engineering Fair on March 7, 2022.