Former Trumpet Sports Editor and Baseball athlete Ross Salvatori prepares for graduation

As the West Liberty University’s (WLU) baseball season comes to an end in the next few weeks, a senior on the team will never forget the memories he has made during his last four years. Ross Salvatori is an advertising and integrated communication studies major with a minor in journalism and is a part of the college’s baseball team where he plays outfield.

Salvatori has played baseball for 18 years. He played baseball the four years he attended Wheeling Park High School, which is located in his hometown of Wheeling, W.Va.. Salvatori decided to attend WLU because he loved the campus, the baseball coaches and the close proximity to his hometown.“Baseball has been a huge part of my life for years and coming to WLU was a decision I don’t regret for a second,” he said.

Salavtori mentioned that WLU feels like a second home to him and he has made lifelong friends with his fellow baseball players and classmates. “The baseball coaches have been there for me through thick and thin. I have had a blast these four years playing the game I love.”

Though baseball has given him unforgettable experiences on the hilltop, academics have played a major role in his collegiate career. “The past 4 years I’ve developed many skills because the professors really care to see each student succeed. It was difficult at the time when they pushed me [to succeed], but looking back at it, I’m extremely grateful they did,” Salvatori said.

In the fall of 2021, Salvatori completed an internship with The Trumpet as the sports editor and is currently working on his capstone project. He will graduate this semester in May.

The men’s baseball team has games every week leading up to the end of the semester, which includes games in the Mountain East Conference. Their next home game will take place on Tuesday, March 29 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m where they will take on Slippery Rock University.