Lambda Psi Sigma hosts, “Puppies on the Quad”

Puppies on the Quad event flyer provided by Riley Duda the president of West Liberty University’s Lambda Psi Sigma sorority.

West Liberty University’s (WLU) Lambda Psi Sigma sorority held their annual Puppies on the Quad event on March 30, 2022. The event took place on the quad from 12-4 p.m. Puppies on the Quad is an annual event that Lambda has held every year in order to help spread awareness about the local animal shelters in the Ohio Valley.

Riley Duda, the president of Lambda Psi Sigma said the idea for the Puppies on the Quad event first came about because Lambda wanted people in the campus community to learn more about philanthropy and more about animal shelters. In the past, they have had the shelters bring some of their dogs up and that has given students the opportunity to not only play with them but also learn about the animals up for adoption as well. During past events, the animal shelters also brought both dogs and cats up to campus that were eligible for adoption, and sometimes students would end up adopting them. However, due to COVID-19, they were unable to allow the shelter to bring any animals to campus.

Duda said, “In the past, other organizations here on campus have teamed up with us in order to help us plan the event but this year only Lambda Psi Sigma was in charge of planning it.”

Duda shared the sorority’s mission statement by stating “We endorse trust, loyalty, responsibility, and companionship within the sisterhood. We want every girl to have a voice and make a difference in Lambda Psi Sigma.” She also shared that their sorority’s philanthropies are local animal shelters and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

All the proceeds raised during the event will go to a local animal shelter of their choosing. Most of the time, the donations they receive are more than just monetary donations. The sorority also tries to collect anything local animal shelters may need like dog beds, blankets and treats. Anyone that attended yesterday’s event was encouraged to bring their dogs so they could mingle with other pet owners on campus and allow their dogs to play with others. At the event, they had a few concessions and dog treats that were available for purchase.

Duda said, “Puppies on the Quad is a great event that is held every year in order to spread awareness about local animal shelters and all the amazing animals that you are able to find there!”

WLU’s Lambda Psi Sigma sorority was first founded in 2005. Their purpose is to provide a distinct bond between college women who are not only dedicated to themselves but their sisterhood. The sorority provides truthful, uplifting and secure surroundings to its loyal sisters, and girls that have joined the sorority have all joined for a common purpose. The sisters of Lambda Psi Sigma are active on campus and within the sorority, all while embracing diversification.

Duda also said, “If anyone wants to learn more, you can check out our Instagram @Lambdapsisigma or our rush account @lambda_rush. On our Instagram accounts, you can learn about our sorority as a whole like our philanthropies, mascots and facts. You can see any upcoming events and what our girls have been up to!”