Help a senior Dental Hygiene major graduate through teeth cleaning program

From left to right: former WLU Dental Hygiene students Savanna Hibbits and Eliza Haynes.

West Liberty University’s (WLU) dental hygiene program offers teeth cleaning for all campus and community members who had their teeth cleaned within the past 6 months. The dental hygiene program has been serving the local community since 1938. Currently, there are 28 students completing their second year in the clinical program and preparing to graduate and 34 students who are completing their first year in the program. There are also 40 students who have plans to begin the clinical portion of the program in the fall.

Stephanie Meredith, the department chair of the WLU dental hygiene program said, “During a dental hygiene appointment, patients can expect to have a number of assessments completed which include a medical/dental history, intra, extra oral exam, periodontal screening, dental charting, caries risk assessment, tobacco risk assessment, calculus charting, dental hygiene education, scaling, polishing, flossing, fluoride treatment and radiographs if needed.” Meredith noted that students must meet certain requirements in regard to patients seen in the dental hygiene clinic.

According to the WLU dental hygiene program’s website, “Morning appointments begin at 8:30 a.m. and may continue up to 11:30 am. Afternoon appointments begin at 1:30 pm and continue through 4:30 p.m.” Appointments will be available again beginning in September on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Meredith added, “The dental hygiene program provides dental hygiene services only. All patients are advised to visit their dentist for dental exams and restorative work. The dental hygiene services provided here on campus do not replace the need for regular dental visits.” The dental hygiene website notes that patients should be aware that the WLU dental hygiene clinic is a teaching institution and that treatment will take longer than a private dental office visit.

The cost of teeth cleaning is $5 for all WLU faculty, staff and students. The cost will also include radiographs if needed. For off-campus visitors, adults must pay $20 and the cost for children 12 and under is $5.

Appointments have been filling up quickly for the remainder of the semester, but there are still appointments available throughout the month of April on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Appointments are available for patients at 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Patients should expect their appointment to last three hours.

If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, call (304) 336-8633 or visit the dental hygiene department located on the main floor of Campbell Hall. The clinic reception area is located from the far-right door on the main level.