Daniel Rovira Senior Spotlight

Daniel Rovira in action vs. Concord University

Daniel Rovira, a senior on the men’s soccer team at West Liberty is currently playing in his final season on the hilltop. A four-year veteran, Rovira has played 49 games for the Hilltoppers so far, with 23 starts in addition to three goals and assists. Rovira predominantly plays as a winger but can also play as an attacking midfielder or a center forward.

Rovira came to WLU as a freshman in 2019 and is majoring in general business. “I chose West Liberty because of the campus and I was excited to start a new program,” said Rovira. “I felt it would really help me in both my studies and soccer because there are not many distractions around.”

Hailing from Puebla, Mexico, Rovira represents one of 12 countries to feature on the men’s soccer roster, admitting that the opportunity to have teammates from across the globe is one of his favorite aspects of his college experience. “I love the people at West Liberty,” Rovira said. “My teammates have definitely turned into close friends for life and I’m happy to have met amazing people from all over the world.”

Prior to moving to the states, Rovira had a successful youth career at home in Mexico, winning back-to-back students’ cups for Puebla F.C., his boyhood soccer club. He has also competed in a number of race-car competitions and considers himself to be an avid Formula One (F1) fan. Rovira’s two favorite athletes are F1 driver and fellow countryman, Checo Perez and Argentinian soccer star Lionel Messi.

Rovira is an attack-minded player who has scored three goals in his career, the first of which he noted as the highlight of his time at West Liberty so far. “My favorite moment at West Liberty would have to be my first goal in my freshman year,” admits Rovira. “It was a special moment for me and it meant a lot for the program.”

His first goal was an equalizer against West Virginia Wesleyan that secured the program’s first-ever point under current head coach, Sean Regan. Rovira’s most recent goal was the game-winner in the Hilltoppers 2022 home opener against Concord University, an excellent half-volley from 20-yards out.

Rovira is in his penultimate semester at the university and will graduate with a degree in general business this coming spring, after which he plans to pursue a career and continue playing soccer. “I am still not certain on the path I will take after graduation but I hope to find a job and continue to play soccer at a higher level if possible,” Rovira said.

For more information on Rovira, or to track the progress of the men’s soccer team, head to hilltoppersports.com.