April mental health events

Mental health concerns have grown increasingly rampant in recent years, and college students are definitely no exception from this. It is not uncommon for a student to be acquainted with someone who may struggle with anxiety, depression or other mental health related issues. Many people may find it difficult to give proper assistance to friends in need, which is why West Liberty University is holding multiple mental health training events in April.

Green Bandana Initiative

The Green Bandana Initiative is a statewide effort launched by the West Virginia State Advisory Council of Students. It aims to train students to help peers who struggle with mental health issues, along with raising awareness. Sponsored by the West Liberty Student Government Association (SGA), there will be two Green Bandana mental health training presentations taking place over Zoom. Students who participate in the hour-long training session will receive a green bandana. The bandana’s purpose is to raise awareness for the significance of mental health, and signify that its wearer is trained to lend assistance. Two presentations will be given throughout the month. The first is on April 5 at 1-2 p.m., with the second taking place on April 19 at 1-2 p.m. Students can email [email protected] if they are interested in participating. Additionally, more information about the organization is available on their website.

LGBTQAI+ Safe Zone Training

Inclusivity of LGBTQAI+ peers is an important factor contributing to the overall mental health of students everywhere. For this reason, the Campus & Community Diversity Committee is sponsoring the presentation, taking place in the R. Emmett Boyle Conference Room, located in the Academix, Sports and Recreation Complex (ASRC). The objective of this presentation is to create an inclusive environment for students who may be part of the LGBTQAI+ community. Attendees will be taught about how they can contribute to an inclusive campus, and understanding the privacy and personal aspects of one’s sexuality. There are three safe zone training sessions being held on April 5. The first takes place at 12 p.m. and is open to everyone. The second is at 2 p.m. for exclusively faculty and staff, and the third is at 6 p.m. for students only. Pizza will also be provided at the 6 p.m. students-only training session. Those who are interested can sign up using the Google Spreadsheet.