The Trumpet

Comments (4)

All The Trumpet Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

Jay PultzMar 26, 2016 at 9:05 pm

An incredibly poor decision. I suspect the Music Dept looked down on band as “not a serious muisical pursuit.” And what’s more, ending funding associated with the band. That is downright dishonest; isn’t there an obligation on the school’s part? Think of a game in which the competition has a band and west Liberty does not. What does that do to school spirit? What alternatives were considered ? Crowdfunding? Administrators , wake up! You are destroying your school…

Reply
  • R

RobinMar 25, 2016 at 12:17 pm

As a parent if a Freshman Music Education Major I feel we have been duped! Marching band is the heart of music for a College as well as Pep Band!! Decisions to attend WLU based on the program and scholarship money started long ago for us! Maybe its time to consider ALL options? Love WLU but disappointed in the cuts!!! I am sure there are other options! Do you rrealize those who may have chosen West Liberty may now spend their money elsewhere?! BRING BACK MARCHING BAND! Love Wind Ensemble!! All music is amazing at WLU and love the faculty!!

Reply
  • T

Tim BirchMar 24, 2016 at 4:27 pm

This is such a shame. WLU is great at producing top notch teachers and especially music teacher. Now with taking away the marching band and pep bands I wonder how they will be able to understand how to teach students how to march, how to do a precision drill, how to produce section leaders, and I could go on and on. Out of every school program I have seen from middle school to high school they all have a band program that is by far the best recruiting tool available to any school. If you have a great band you will be pulling students in from everywhere. I truly feel that WLU is shooting themselves in the foot. They are turning their backs on a huge learning tool for music educators and a big recruiting tool to pull more students into the school.

Reply
Activate Search
Marching Band Cut from Music Program