Chi Omega sorority hosts first Hugs and Kisses for Wishes event

Chi Omega is hosting their first Hugs and Kisses for Wishes event, on Thursday, Feb. 11 from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. in the ballroom inside the student union. The purpose of the event is to make Valentine’s Day cards for the Make-A-Wish children to show them some extra love this holiday. All students and staff are welcome to attend the event.
Ivy Henderson, a member of Chi Omega, said, “This event is special to me because I wanted to find a different way to connect with the children, and what better way than letting them know they are loved on Valentine’s Day?” Henderson also coordinated this event and is hopeful for a great turnout so the sorority can make this an annual tradition. There will be colorful paper and utensils to make these cards, so all you have to do is write a sweet note to make the children feel loved.
Henderson is a junior at WLU and is also the campus activities director. Henderson says any event for Make-A-Wish is special to her because of the impact it can have on the children. “Make-a-Wish has given me perspective on the actual impact we are capable of making for these children, and it is amazing to see.” Henderson also shared that being a part of Chi Omega has made her experience at WLU fun and memorable.
For more information about this event, contact Henderson at [email protected] or reach out to Chi Omega on their social media.
Beta Rho Epsilon, a local sorority at WLU, is also taking part in celebrating Valentine’s Day. The virtual events started on Feb. 8 and continue through the week. In an Instagram post, the sorority shares a list of events. The sorority hopes to bring attention to and raise awareness about healthy relationships and dating abuse since it is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month.
Kendal Stanley, senior at WLU and president of Beta Rho Epsilon, said that anybody is welcome to participate in the virtual “Respect Week” events and encourages students to raise awareness of teen dating violence. Stanley explained, “We want people to be aware that teen dating violence is common, and nearly half of women in college experience dating violence of abusive behaviors.” With Valentine’s Day approaching, this is a good way to be aware about true love and abuse.
For more information about Respect Week or Beta Rho Epsilon, reach out to the sorority on their social media. For further information regarding campus events, email Kate Billings at [email protected].