Senior Soccer player Cate Calissie prepares for her final season

West Liberty soccer player Cate Calissie is preparing for her senior season here on the Hilltop. Originally from Wheeling, W. Va., Calissie moved to areas like Washington and Canonsburg, Pa. for some of her childhood. However, she ended up moving back to Wheeling where she graduated from Wheeling Central in 2016.

During her high school years, Calissie played soccer, basketball, and was the first female to play football in Wheeling Central history! Right after high school, Calissie attended Wheeling University where she played soccer; however, she transferred to West Liberty after her freshman year concluded. “I transferred to West Liberty from Wheeling after my freshmen year and I think West Lib ultimately was the place that could push me to be the best version of me. Having a coach like a Barry and professors that helped me grow as an athlete, student, and person is what made me want to make the hilltop home,” said Calissie. Continuing on, she shared that some of her best memories have been made right here on the Hilltop and she wouldn’t trade them for anything!

Calissie shared her biggest inspiration in life has been her parents. “They both sacrificed so much for me to have the opportunity to find soccer and eventually play in college. They’re my biggest supporters and coaches on and off the field,” Calissie said.

In her free time, Calissie enjoys reading and working out, so she is “never really that far away from school or soccer.” Something Calissie wants people to know about her is her competitiveness “to a fault” and being on the soccer team around women she calls family has helped her grow as a person more than any previous experience.

Calissie will be graduating from West Liberty with a bachelors in Secondary English Education and a minor in writing this spring.

“I’ll miss the girls on the soccer team the most. They’ve been like family to me and have been the people I try to always make proud. They’re a great group of hardworking girls and I’m excited to see what the future holds for this program,” Calissie shared.

For more information about this article, please email Annalise Murphy at [email protected]. If you would like to be featured in The Trumpet’s Sports section, please reach out to editor, , at [email protected].

Be sure to read The Trumpet on ISSUU and check our online site for all sports updates!