Student Learning and Development Center Update

The West Liberty Student Learning and Development Centre is one of the universities many resources available to students to aid them with academic related problems. The SLDC is located on the first floor of main though virtual appointments are currently preferential due to COVID-19.

Peer Tutoring and Academic Coaching are still being offered virtually for the time being but the SLDC is “beginning to explore and may begin to offer traditional, in person appointments in the coming weeks in accordance with campus COVID guidelines,” said Chris McPherson, the SLDC director. Appointments can be made easily online via TutorTrac.

Peer tutoring is one of the most successful academic support programs at West Liberty with tutors available in around 20% of the courses offered each semester. The goal of peer tutoring is to provide content specific help to students from other students who have found success previously in that course. This year, Bill Carney, a new addition to the LSDC, is overseeing the program in addition to helping students connect to support services across campus.

Academic coaching is another hidden gem service provided by LSDC. “Academic coaching is offered to further develop and/or learn new strategies/methods that could be helpful in the classroom for any course or discipline,” said McPherson. Graduate assistants take on the role of academic coach helping students to work on their strengths and weaknesses and pulling down any barriers in the way of their success. Academic coaching can be beneficial for all students. Underclassmen, upperclassmen and graduate students can all make use of the service regardless of age or where they are in their academic career.

The SLDC also offers academic and career development workshops throughout the semester. “Our first Academic Workshop occurred last Wednesday (February 10) and the topic was Stress/Time Management. We have virtual Academic Workshops planned for the following dates/times: March 11 at noon (topic TBD) and April 14 (Finals Preparation) at 1 p.m.. Additionally, we have two Career Development Workshops planned for this semester on the following dates/times: February 24 at 4.30 p.m. (Utilizing Handshake) and March 31 (Interview Preparation),” said McPherson. This year the workshops are partnered by Handshake, a career platform designed to help students with job prospects and internship opportunities both domestically and abroad. “We are also offering Math and Science Study Labs Monday-Thursday evenings virtually that students can visit during the scheduled times,” said McPherson.

TopperStation is also being utilized by the LSDC. The LSDC have their own channel filled with tutorials and helpful videos for students regarding how to use the available services. “Our Academic Coaches have also been working on shorter, instructional video recordings for academic topics that can be reviewed here,” said McPherson.

For more information contact McPherson ([email protected]) or Carney ([email protected]) by email. “In summary, our office continues to offer student support services, including Peer Tutoring, Academic Coaching, Accessibility Services, Academic Advising, and Career Development. The Learning & Student Development Center is available for in-person, virtual, or walk-in appointments… We encourage students to visit us if they are feeling challenged academically and aren’t sure exactly where to begin or to help further develop their academic skills,” said McPherson.