Local high schools participate in honors band

On March 21, The West Liberty University (WLU) Music Department held an honors festival for local high school students who are accelerated in their instrumental skills and voice. 

The honors festival included rehearsal time for the band and choir. Lunch and Dinner was provided in the Bear’s Den for the students who attended. Following dinner a concert was held in College Hall at 7 p.m. for the students to showcase to their family and friends what they worked on all afternoon. This concert was also live streamed for those who were unable to attend in person. 

Dr. Douglas McCall, director of Choral Activities, spoke on the renaming of the event “Formally called the Tri-State Honors Festival, we have renamed it to the West Liberty Honor’s Music Festival…” 

Area schools who attended include: Bellaire, Brooke, Martin’s Ferry, Oak Glen, Philip Barbour, Shadyside and Wheeling Park. 

This festival has been occurring for a while and it provides an opportunity for the professors of the music department to be involved in the community working with local high school students. It provided an opportunity for students to experience the atmosphere of the WLU Music Department when they are considering their choice of college. 

Additionally, Visiting Director of Bands, Dr. Alvin Simpson, offered an opportunity to the high school students for them to be able join the Collegiate Wind Symphony and play with the ensemble for their upcoming Pops Concert on April 29, in College Hall at 6 p.m., have works including video game and movie soundtrack themes. 

Simpson spoke of his ideas of why he wanted to promote the opportunity for the high school students, “ With high school students joining the ensemble, it provides those interested in collegiate music-making with a glimpse of the rigors and opportunities available at WLU. My hope for the upcoming concert is to strengthen relations between the WLU Music Department and students of the Tri-State area.”