WLU sexual assault awareness events

April is commemorated as the sexual assault awareness month. With sexual assault becoming an increasing concern in the world, many students may want to educate themselves about how they can protect themselves and others from such crimes. This week, multiple events are being held with the goal of educating the campus about sexual assault and spreading awareness.

Sexual assault trivia

Students who visit the Bear’s Den cafeteria on April 5 may catch wind of the Sexual Assault Trivia event. In the same trip as their evening meal, participants and observers can learn about what constitutes as sexual assault, keeping themselves and others safe, and what can be done in the event of a sexual offence. This event is being held from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.

Wear teal day

As part of a national effort to show support for victims of sexual violence, West Liberty has advertised April 6 as Wear Teal Day. In reference to the symbol used for sexual assault prevention,the teal ribbon,students are encouraged to wear teal clothing in order to bring attention to sexual misconduct and create a community free of such cruelty. Students who want to show support for this cause can wear their favorite teal clothes this Thursday, as well as spread the word about this movement. 

Future events

WLU will be holding a variety of other events and services throughout the month of April in recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. As published by the West Liberty Activities Twitter page, there are two events during the week of April 10.These events include the Roll Red Roll Film Showing on April 10 & 11, 3:15 p.m. – 5 p.m. This film showing will take place at College Hall. Immediately following in the same location, there is a Faculty/Staff Panel Discussion at 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.

There will be another four events on the week during April 17 – 21, leading with the Survivor Paint n’ Sit on April 17 at 6 p.m. in the Union Ballroom. Next, on April 18, a showing of the film Audrey & Daisy will take place at 6 p.m., and a Rape Culture Presentation the following day at noon, both in the Union Ballroom. Finally, throughout this entire week, the What Were You Wearing? The Art Exhibit will be viewable in the Union Ballroom.

There are three events planned during the week of April 24. First, the Clothes Line Project will be taking place on the Quad every day that week from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Finally, both on April 26 at 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Tinder Swindler Showing will take place in the Union Ballroom, while the Chalk for Consent event will take place on the Quad.