Spring Convocation provides University updates

West Liberty University

President Dr. W Franklin Evans standing at a podium during Spring Convocation.

On Feb. 2, the 2021 Spring Convocation occurred at West Liberty. Spring Convocation occurs each year, providing updates from West Liberty University’s president and the cabinet. The meeting is a time to recognize faculty and staff accomplishments and to present awards. It was recorded and uploaded to Topper Station with some portions in person and others virtual. The recording can be accessed here. The event opened with President Dr. W. Franklin Evans, who had only started a few weeks ago, sharing words of success and hope.

The first announcement came from Vice President of Enrollment Scott Cook. Cook reported a three percent increase in student enrollment despite the challenges the COVID-19 has posed to the university. Next, Vice President of Finance and Administration Roberta Linger presented that the past year was another success in terms of the audit and budgeting.

There were three employees that received awards at this Spring Convocation. The first was Dr. Deanna Schmitt who was awarded with the Professional Activity Award. She is a friendly face around campus and hosts labs where students can get hands-on research for their field or major. The second award went to Dr. Vishakha Maskey which was the Service Award. She earned this award due to her work getting grants and her help creating the Energy Management major, a 2 plus 2 program with Belmont College. She is also associated with several committees on and around campus such as Wheeling’s Young Women’s Christian Association. The third and final award went to Dr. William “Scott” Hanna who received the Teaching Award. In order to get this award, a professor must have a great reputation among students, colleagues, and faculty as well as present an incomparable commitment to teaching. Hanna, associate professor of English, has been a professor at West Liberty University since 2008.

Next, Chief Human Resources Officer Diana Harto announced thirteen hires since Aug. 2019 and three promotions. Several Years of Service Awards were given out. Dr. Sylvia Hawranick Senften and Allen Ramsey received the 30 Years of Service award. Stacy Page and Herb Minch were given the 25 Years of Service award. The Spring Convocation ended with statements from Student Records Assistant Enrollment Services Tasha Taylor, Executive Director of Alumni Relations and Special Projects Ron Witt, and Faculty Senate chairman Dr. Jon Serra.

For more information, please contact Emma Beatty at [email protected] or Director of Media Relations Maureen Zambito at [email protected].