Hilltopper athlete of the week, Dalton Bolon, continues to shine on the basketball court

When thinking about the success the West Liberty University Men’s Basketball team has had over the past three years, perhaps the most prominent name contributing to that success is Dalton Bolon. After seeing massive accomplishments while attending Indian Valley High School, Bolon signed his name to play for the Hilltoppers, eventually cementing himself as a Hilltopper legend. While many consider receiving a redshirt to be a hindrance at best, Bolon embraced it, as it gave him an extra year to work on his craft, in which he had soon perfected.

As a redshirt freshman, Bolon was named the Mountain East Conference Freshman of the Year, averaging almost seventeen points per game while shooting 46% from the floor through thirty games. Perhaps what is most impressive about Bolon is the quick step up he took during the next year. During his sophomore year, Bolon was named a NCAA Division II All-American, all while being ranked as one of the best players in the nation. While averaging twenty points per game, Bolon set the West Liberty University school record for three pointers made in a season (106). His dominance continued into his junior year, being once again named a NCAA Division II All-American, and helping the Hilltoppers continue their success on the national stage.

Despite being one of the most dominant players in not only the Mountain East Conference, but also on the national scale, Dalton Bolon was far from finished in his career as a Hilltopper. It comes to no surprise that the COVID-19 pandemic proved to be a shot in the achilles heel for the Hilltoppers title hopes last season. Prior to the season shutdown, the Toppers were cruising from the likes of a 27-4 record, including a ten game winning streak entering the NCAA Division II Tournament. Now using it as motivation, the Hilltoppers and Bolon are enjoying a 13-3 record, just in time for the Mountain East Conference Tournament.

As for Bolon and his individual successes this season, he has undoubtedly enjoyed the honor of joining the exclusive WLU 2,000 point club. An incredible feat indeed, as Bolon is also enjoying the likes of 23 point-per-game average on 53% shooting. Although he understands this season is far from individual, it does not take away the legacy Dalton Bolon has brought to the Hilltoppers Men’s Basketball team, and is one that will be remembered for years to come.